Give Every Month (GEM) Program
Make a difference statewide by becoming a member of the West Virginia Humanities Council’s GEM Program! A small amount each month adds up to a huge impact at the end of the year. For as little as $5 a month, you can help us bring the world to West Virginia, and West Virginia to the world.
Signing up is easy: Simply fill out the Humanities Council’s donation form on PayPal and check the box marked “Make this a monthly donation” to join. Your gift will automatically repeat each month.
You may also contact Victoria Paul at 304-346-8500 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
Council GEMs help us serve West Virginia through grants and direct programing in the humanities, promote the humanities statewide, enrich the cultural ecosystem of the Mountain State, and establish West Virginia as a place where our shared humanity is celebrated and nurtured.
Your monthly gift will:
- Support educational projects and programs statewide
- Preserve and document West Virginia’s vibrant cultural heritage and living traditions through the West Virginia Folklife Program
- Send our popular History Alive! speaker series to communities of every size around the state
- Maintain the McFarland-Hubbard House, our historic 1836 headquarters property, as a public programming and event space
- Carry West Virginia’s story around the world through e-WV: The West Virginia Encyclopedia, available online at www.wvencyclopedia.org
- Support the West Virginia Folklife Apprenticeship Program, which offers a stipend to West Virginia master traditional artists/practitioners working with newer practitioners to facilitate the transmission of their respective forms, traditions, and techniques
Benefits of monthly giving:
- It's flexible. You can increase, decrease, or cancel your monthly gift at any time, without obligation.
- It's convenient. Your monthly gift lets you sustain our humanities work year-round through a single transaction.
- It’s tax-deductable. Each February, all donors receive an official letter confirming the prior year’s total contributions.
- It makes you a Council member. Your monthly gift gives you all the benefits of Council membership, including receiving our official newsletter, People & Mountains, our monthly calendar of events postcard, and more.
- It makes you a friend West Virginians can depend on. With your monthly gift, you make a commitment to help us help all West Virginians document our state’s rich and varied history; caretake and shape West Virginia’s living culture and its future; and research, write, and teach that great story, of which we’re all a part.
- It's green. Because you'll get fewer paper mailings, you'll allow the Council to conserve resources as you help provide humanities programming throughout the Mountain State!
Frequently asked questions
Below are commonly asked questions about our GEM program. If we have not addressed your question below, please call our office at (304) 346-8500.
Q: Once I’ve made an online gift, how can I make changes to my account (i.e. change amount, change my credit card number)?
A: Please call our office at (304) 346-8500 to make your desired change. Your change will take effect during the current processing period.
Q: What if I need to stop giving. Can I stop whenever I want?
A: Of course! Just call (304) 346-8500. Your cancellation will take place during the current processing period.
Q: Will I receive verification of my donations for tax purposes?
A: Yes! All monthly donors will receive a letter at the beginning of each year reflecting the prior year’s total contributions. This letter is typically mailed in January.